Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sometimes, Newer Isn't Always Better...

As I'm preparing Easter dinner for my family, I lovingly rubbed some olive oil on my 5-pound ribeye roast, sprinkled it with some roasted garlic and red pepper seasoning, some freshly-ground pepper and sea salt. Then I stuck the good old standby meat thermometer in it. Hubby asked why I didn't use the fancy-schmancy digital one. I said "Well, because this one always works!"
This was my mom's meat thermometer. She was 86 when she passed, and she's been gone about 12 years now. I still have her thermometer, which she "mail-ordered" from Morrison Wood, Box 814, Springfield, Ohio (no zip code in those days). It came in a box with a 3-cent stamp to "Mrs. Sidney A. Peterson, Rt. 1, Box 472, Olympia, Wash." Now, our address was actually Rt. 11, not Rt. 1, but it made its way to us anyways. And everything in those days came to "Mrs." not "Myrtle" as was her first name. Even the daily newspaper REFUSED to print "Myrtle Peterson" - it just HAD to be "Mrs. Sidney A. Peterson." The box is a bit beat-up, but the thermometer is right-on (I test it every once in awhile in boiling water).
Some things just never wear out - this thermometer, and my love for my family, being two of those things:-) I'll let you know how that roast turns out, but I'm sure it will be perfect! I hope you all have a lovely Easter!

1 comment:

The kat"s tale said...

Nicely said. Happy Easter.