Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Super Spanish Rice

I've made this recipe for Spanish Rice twice now, and it is just soooooo good! I even ate some for breakfast this morning!

The only change I made to the recipe is that I used a red pepper because I didn't have a green one. I paired it with beef chimichangas (which I just kinda sorta made up), and my friend Aunt Pitty Pat's refried beans (more on this below). I heartily recommend this Spanish Rice recipe that can be found on Our Best Bites, which is a WONderful recipe site! I've also made their Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos which are incredibly good, made with Taco Chicken, and served with Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing.

Spanish Rice is a dish that can be incredibly flavorful OR incredibly flavorless when eaten in a restaurant. This recipe is definitely full of flavor and it's now my go-to recipe to pair with other hispanic foods in the dinnertime rotation.

Oh yes, about the beans...apparently I have been just dumping beans out of the can and heating them up...and not particularly loving it...for years...until one night some months ago when I was talking to Aunt Pitty Pat and she casually mentioned how SHE prepares canned refries. So simple, but I never would have come up with this myself, duh! Put some oil in a pan and let it get hot. Dump the beans in, along with about 1/4 cup water (for the large-size can), and 1/2 cup salsa. Stir it up and cook until heated through and the consistency you want. Ummm, I guess this would be the "refried" part of "refried beans" hello????? Sometimes, I am just so dense....thank goodness I have friends who can put me back on the right path :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL I guess I can do something right once in a while.. and by the way readers.. Nadine found out about my re-fried beans when she came to visit and ate one of my home made burritos. She asked me how I got them so yummy from using canned re-fried beans. Then I explained how I re-fry them again.. and the rest.... Nadine's readers is history :O)

NadineC said...

Yep, APP...those refries are yummy! Goes to show you can learn something from everyone. Refries and purse handles...from APP ;-)