Sunday, August 25, 2013

World's Fastest Suitcase-Make!

Took a little 3-day trip to Victoria, BC with the hubby and oldest son, Ben, his wife, and our precious g-daughter, Aubrey. We took their car, which does have a big trunk, but we had to stuff a stroller as well as a walker in it, so space was at a premium. I decided I *needed* to make a soft-sided suitcase thingie for my clothes, as it would slide into the empty spaces around the stroller/walker more easily. Well, and also...any excuse to sew something, you know :-)

But it had to be F-A-S-T!!!!! Because I waited until the afternoon before the trip, AND we were leaving at 4:00 a.m.!!! So I worked out this little idea and let me tell you - not only was it the World's Fastest Suitcase-Make, but it also worked EXTREMELY well. At first, the family was laughing and calling it my "pillowcase suitcase" but it didn't take long for them to change their minds - even hubby commented several times on how well it worked!
Overall dimensions are 20" x 17" x 4" - more than enough room for clothes, shoes, and toiletries for a 3-5 day trip.
I used just 3/4 yard of two fabrics (exterior and lining), and 4" for the handle, plus a 24" zipper. I added fusible fleece to the exterior and fusible interfacing to the lining. I was in a hurry (and wasn't quite sure of the anticipated result!) so I didn't take any pictures for a tutorial, but I like it so much, I'm going to make another one and I WILL take pics to share the process!

Here it is with the zipper open...
One zipper...two seams...and a strap! Couldn't be easier or faster!

Close-up of the cute zipper...
See the cute polka-dot zipper? :-)

I boxed all four corners to give more depth. Here is one short end.

And the long side.

I made the strap a few inches longer than the bag so that I could get into the bag easily. I wanted to make another, flat strap to go on one long side, but decided I was running out of time since I had to get up a 2:30 a.m. The bag fit perfectly on the suitcase caddy in the hotel, and it was super easy to carry slung across my shoulder/back, too! Whenever the family is impressed with something I made, then I know I done good ;-)


P.S. Hubby said "And you used fabric from your stash, too...right?" I said "Define *stash*...how long do you think fabric has to be in the house before it becomes stash? One month? One day? 15 minutes?"

1 comment:

jennifer robin said...

15 minutes for sure!! LOL!!