Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Most Beautiful Cup Cozy in the World

I was head-over-heels in L-O-V-E when I spotted this ruffled cup cozy on Sew For Home's blog. I knew I had to make it right away! Well ok, it took me a couple days to get to it, but it turned out gorgeous! I did change up the Velcro closure for a button-and-hair-tie loop though...because the cozy wound up being a bit short for my Venti Starbuck's-size cups from which I consume incredible amounts of Ice-Tea-No-Lemon (as I'm known at certain restaurants, or ITNL for short). I want ICE and I want TEA in my Ice Tea - no lemon, no sugar, no sugar substitute...just ICE and TEA, thank you very much ;-) The next one I make, I'll add extra width to the pattern. It probably was meant to fit the smaller coffee cups, but I didn't have one around to verify that.
I used the same fabric to make a skinny scarf to match - I made the scarf first, and then thought I'd just use the same fabric to try out the cozy. If I had done it the other way around, I probably would have thought to add a ruffle of the raspberry fabric to each end of the scarf - I think that would have been adorable. But I'm not going to take out all my stopstitching on the scarf to add it at this point. However, I'll keep it in mind for my next scarf.
And there WILL be a next scarf, because I've made at least 15 of them since before Christmas! What, or should I say "Who" got me started on this scarf kick was Monique, my partner in a swap...she sent me a scarf made from a charm pack. It got my brain kick-started because they are such an easy, quick gift to make! And once I got started, I just couldn't stop! I've used mostly 2 1/2" strips - I bought ALL the new Bali Pops that just came out...I smiled at the quilt shop lady and said "Merry Christmas To Me" as I picked up the whole armfull of them and handed over my Mastercard. I used faux Minky (the JoAnn's version) or ultra cuddle for the backing. They are so soft and cozy! And cute! I cut thirty-two 6" chunks of the 2 1/2" strips, pieced them, then trimmed both sides to measure 5" wide before adding the backing, clipping, turning, and topstitching. I included matching Shoop-Shoop Bags with these.
So now...with the ruffled cup cozy to go along with them, I see SETS in the future. So if you are my friend or acquaintance, you might just get a set for the next gift-giving or swapping occasion!

5 comments:

A Dixie Girls Delights said...

I have been looking for a pattern for this! yay great post Nadine :) This is just in time my best friends moving to Texas friday and I want to make her a denim apron, mug warmer sleeve, dishtowel set and napkin set with a bandana theme

Unknown said...

OH my goodness.. you were very busy too at Christmas.. I know you were sewing sewing and sewing just like me.. all of the projects are adorable.. thanks for sharing these with us :)
M

Unknown said...

Does your sewing machine ever rest? lol These are super cute and might be easy enough even for me! :)

CJ said...

Ms Nadine,
I LOVE♥ those!! :) and I'm lovin' that you are retired and sewing up a storm! Please keep sharing with us :)
Hugz,
CJ♥♥

Yarni Gras! said...

wow! I thought I was busy....but you crafted/sewed circles around me!
Very cute!!!! I still use the cozy you made me last year and LOVE IT!