Sunday, April 24, 2011

MOPS (My Own Potato Salad)

Happy Easter, everyone!

We're having rib roast today, but last night we BBQd hamburgers and pineapple slices, and ate lots of watermelon and potato salad. Potato salad is one of those really "personal" dishes - everyone has their own recipe, or at least "type," of potato salad that they like. Some people like mayo and others swear by Miracle Whip (I use both!). Some people just have to have pickles and others don't want onions.  I usually shy away from OPPS (Other People's Potato Salad) because to ME, most OPPS is just too bland. SOME people don't even put eggs in their potato salad and that's just WRONG, as far as I'm concerned ;-) 

I do have to admit that once in awhile, I come across a bowl of OPPS that I can tolerate, or even like a bit. But mostly, I like MOPS (My Own Potato Salad ;-) Here's how I make mine...

6 cups peeled, diced potatoes (1/2-inch cubes) (I use russet potatoes, but have been known to use red or yellow if that's all I have)
6-8 eggs, hard-cooked, peeled and egg-cuttered (I don't think that's really a word, LOL!)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup Miracle Whip
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
1/2 cup very finely minced onion
3-4 thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/2 Teaspoon celery seed
1 Teaspoon seasoned salt such as Johnny's Dock or Lawry's
1/4 Teaspoon black pepper

Start the cubed potatoes in salted water in a saucepan on high. When it boils, turn to simmer and cook, covered, for 10 minutes (depending on if the potatoes are starting to get a bit soft/old, I might reduce the cooking time to 9 minutes). Remove from heat and immediately drain in a colander. Let cool slightly while you make the dressing. Update: a friend asked me why I cook the potatoes peeled and cubed, as opposed to whole, unpeeled like "her mom does." Any way you want to cook the potatoes is fine - this is just the way it works best for me - the pieces are uniform and I've tweeked the cooking time so they really do come out perfect every time - done, but not mushy. You could cook the potatoes in a cave in the mountains if you wish, if that's the way you've always done it, OR if that's the way "your mom does it"  ;-)

Dressing: Combine all the other ingredients - save out 1-2 eggs to decorate the top, if desired. I like to use an egg cutter to dice the eggs - set the egg in the holder, slice, then remove carefully and position the sliced egg the opposite direction to dice the egg.

Combine the dressing with the potatoes that have cooled somewhat while you made the dressing - adding the still-warm potatoes helps the dressing to soak in and be more flavorful. But make sure your bowl or container is more "wide" than "tall," and refrigerate the finished salad quickly so it cools properly. Decorate with the reserved sliced eggs if you wish. I also sprinkle a bit of paprika on top to look pretty :-)  Serve with love, and enjoy!

5 comments:

Doris Sturm said...

Happy Easter and thanks for the recipe. That potato salad looks scrumptious! I want some NOW!

Unknown said...

Your salad sounds yummy.. Just like I would love!! I'm like you I want eggs in my salad too! Sort of tangy also.

Debbie said...

That is just about how I make my potato salad. Delicious

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

I've never had eggs in potato salad but that looks yummy. :)

Crazy Amy said...

if I survive to the weekend, I am so making this!