Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Groovy Gravy

My son, Adam's, girlfriend (Katie) is a vegetarian...and he's had other vegetarian girlfriends, so I'm used to this. Actually, I am quite excited because I LOVE making vegetarian meals! My other guys are definitely carnivores and think that MEAT HAS TO BE part of every meal. But I do love the occasional meatless fare. I would eat 2-3 meatless meals a week if I were truly in charge. But I'm not. So I have to content  myself with sharing meatless meals with Katie. Now, Katie doesn't ask for Tofurkey for Thanksgiving - thank goodness - because I'm not quite sure how I would do that. So I make extra veggies, I use vegetable broth in the dressing (but don't tell the others!), and I do make her some vegetarian gravy to pour over the mashed potatoes.

How do you make vegetarian gravy? Well, it's easy-peasy!

While I definitely make gravy from the turkey drippings, for the carnivores, I've kinda made up this recipe for NON-TURKEY gravy over the past few years...and I think it's delicious! Here's what I do!

Vegetarian Gravy

1/2 cup finely diced onions
1/2 cup finely diced mushrooms (I usually use the white button, but you can experiment)
2-3 Tablespoons butter
2 cups (or 1 can) vegetable broth
1 cube vegetarian boullion (available at any grocery store!)
1/2 Teaspoon onion powder
1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Approximately 3 Tablespoons lightly-browned flour *


* First, make the browned flour: put 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour into a small heavy skillet on medium-low heat. Stir constantly. Note - no oil, butter or anything - this is a DRY skillet. You will find it starts to turn after several minutes. You want a nice LIGHT caramel color - if you get past light caramel, it will turn bitter so err on the side of too light. It will continue to brown after you turn the burner off. Set aside.



In a medium skillet, melt the butter and add the onions and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are opaque. Add the browned flour, stirring constantly. SLOWLY add the vegetable broth, a little at a time, until each addition is incorporated. Add the vegetarian boullion, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper. Continue to stir about 5 minutes until the gravy is nice and thick.

This gravy is delicious whether you are a vegetarian or not. Give it a try!


No comments: