Sunday, November 21, 2010

Cranberry-Pear Chutney

I first posted this a couple years ago, but I think it bears re-posting. Especially since the house is right now filled with the wonderful smells of this *perfect* cranberry sauce that I just made! I make this every year, and we never tire of it. It makes a generous amount and keeps well in the fridge between Thanksgiving and Christmas. A bit more work than just opening a can, but well worth the effort, and it's sooooo beautiful, too!

Cranberry-Pear Chutney


This ruby-colored chutney can be made up to 3 weeks ahead and stored in airtight jars in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. It also makes a great hostess gift when packed in small, decorative glass jars. Serve with turkey, pork, ham.


1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

2 3-inch cinnamon sticks

1 12-ounce package fresh cranberries

2 cups peeled, chopped Bosc pear (about 3 medium)

1 cup peeled, chopped Granny Smith apple (about 1 medium)

3/4 cup golden raisins

1/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger (I buy this at an Asian store - it's much cheaper)

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I've used the bottled kind in a pinch)

Combine first six ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until cranberries begin to pop. Stir in pear, apple, raisins, onion and ginger; cook 20 minutes or until fruit is tender. Remove from heat; stir in juice. Cool to room temperature, and discard cinnamon. Cover and chill.


Yield: 4 ¾ cups (serving size: ¼ cup)

I love the ruby-red color!

1 comment:

CJ said...

Oh, yummm!!! Thanks Nadine for posting your recipe - looks fabulous and sounds so good. Tomorrow, I'm making my Cranberry Sauce and since I got a lot of cranberries when I was in Wisconsin, I think I'm going to try your Chutney too :)
Hugz,
CJ♥♥