Saturday, December 27, 2008

Snow-Quake!

Snow-Quake: a cross between an snow avalanche and an earthquake (my own wacky definition). At 3:00 a.m. this morning, I was awakened by a huge noise and the house shook. At first I thought the deck that runs the entire length of our house had fallen from the weight of the remaining 13 inches of snow-turned-to-rain. But then I realized I hadn't heard any tearing and ripping noises. Phew! My next guess was the snow had slid off the slanted metal roof of our shop, but I couldn't see since it was still dark. Sure enough, first thing in the morning, I checked it out and saw from the relative safety of the front porch that the pretty blue roof was now showing. Here's the picture from the porch:
And as you can see, when it came down, it pretty much buried one of our cars.
Adam took me to town and on the way we stopped at the tavern a mile from our house (Buzz Tavern - isn't that a great name?) where we had burgers and fries - boy, they sure tasted good, but at that point, anything that wasn't my own cooking would have been like a little piece o' heaven! Our road is still horrible with ruts and thick mounds of slippery snow. And Christmas is still on hold...now we are looking at next weekend before we can all get together.

1 comment:

Carla said...

That would have scared me to death! Glad you are ok. LOL get buzzed at the Buzz Tavern. Yes, it's a great name.